Favorite Books of 2011
(Thank you, Becky, for sharing each of these books with me.)
- The History of Love (Nicole Krauss)
- Gilead (Marilynne Robinson: also enjoyed the follow-up Home)
- The Poisonwood Bible (Barbara Kingsolver: also loved her novel Animal Dreams and her food memoir Animal, Vegetable, Miracle)
With Open Hands (Henri J.M. Nouwen) Such a powerful way of thinking about prayer. Our library had the dorky 1972 edition, which includes cheesy black and white photos from the 70’s. You really should not judge a book by its cover, or photography.
Noteworthy: Radical by David Platt and Crazy Love by Francis Chan
- The Food Revolution: How Your Diet Can Help Save Your Life and Our World (John Robbins)
- Eating Animals (Jonathan Safran Foer)
- Supermarket Vegan (Donna Klein)
- Food for Life: How the New Four Food Groups Can Save Your Life (Neal D. Barnard) This two-part book features recipes in the back of the book, many of which we use regularly.
- Clean Start (Terry Walters)
Encyclopedia of an Ordinary Life (Amy Krouse Rosenthal)
The “Faith” Books by Anne Lamott
- Traveling Mercies : Some Thoughts on Faith
- Plan B : Further Thoughts on Faith
- Grace (Eventually): Thoughts on Faith
The Story of Stuff (Annie Leonard) See the video here.
Simplicity Parenting: Using the Extraordinary Power of Less to Raise Calmer, Happier, and More Secure Kids (Kim John Payne, Lisa M. Ross)
- Piggie and Gerald books (Mo Willems)
- The Little House picture books
- The Night Night Book (Marianne Richmond)
- Blueberries for Sal
- And soooo many more…. I just love great picture books.
Must-Read List for 2011 (4 out of 7 ain’t bad)